The Luoyang Museum is a local
historical museum of China. It was first built in Guanlin, the south of Luoyang
City in Henan Province, in 1958, and then moved to the north side of Zhongzhou
Road in 1973. The new museum was opened on May 1, 1974, covering more than
200,000 square meters. The roof of the main building is covered with glazed
To illustrate the profound culture of the
ancient capital City of Luoyang, the display of the Museum mainly reflects Heluo
Culture, together with Yangshao Culture, Longshan Culture, and the culture of
the Xia (21st century-17th century BC), Shang (17th century-11th century BC) and
Zhou (11th century -256BC) period.
The Museum displays 1,700 cultural relics
in five exhibition rooms -- a reflection of five different social development stages
such as the Primitive Society, the Slavery Society, and the Feudal Society.
Among the relics, the bronze wares of the Shang and Zhou dynasties, the
pottery-made tomb figures, and the Tang San Cai (Tri-color Glazed Pottery of
Tang) are considered to be of the first grade.
Besides the basic displays, the Museum also
holds exhibitions of calligraphy and paintings and so on every year.